Translate

Thursday, May 20, 2010

SACRAMENT OF PENANCE, CONFESSION, HOW OFTEN SHOULD IT BE PROVIDED?


When I first came to St. Joseph in 2004, only one priest was needed to hear Confessions on Saturday from 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM. For a good bit of the time, no one would be coming in for confession. I could read, pray and day dream. Eventually over the course of the years, I emphasized Confession in my homilies and writings. For about four years now, we need to have two priests hearing Confessions for the full hour. If I had a third priest,that would be helpful. We often go past the full hour for Confession because of the lines.

I believe the cure for so few choosing to celebrate this "not an optional" Sacrament is:
1. Teach what sin is, specifically what mortal sin is and the necessity of the Sacrament of Penance as the normal means for Christ and the Church to forgive the mortal sinner and reconcile him to Christ and His Church.
2. Teach number "1" as often as possible.
3. Make sure the Sacrament of Penance is taught as both a positive and negative experience, being realistic--sense of fear and sense of relief for many.
4. Allow the option of anonymity for confession.

The one area that I have struggled with is offering this Sacrament more often than on Saturday. Of course we offer it as a Penance Service with multiple priests during Advent and Lent. During Holy Week, we hear Confessions after the Stations of the Cross offered at 12:10 PM and 3:00 PM on Good Friday--very long lines and very good Confessions!

I've thought about offering it one additional night a week at around 6:30 PM, with no finishing time, so people don't think they can show up at 7:30 PM and create a long line. If I did this, what night of the week would be best? Keep in mind priests have meetings galore weeknights! What's more important a meeting or a Sacrament? Would people come during the week?

9 comments:

Gene said...

I believe another opportunity for Confession during the week would be great! I watch all those people going down to receive on Sunday morning and say to myself,"So, all these people have been to Confession and are in a State of Grace...riiiiighhhtttt!!!" The lines at the Confessional should be at least as long as the lines going to receive. I should go to Confession once a week for lustful thoughts alone, and they're telling me they are pure in heart? Give me a break! *sigh*

Anonymous said...

at our parish we have Exposition after Thursday 530pm Mass with confessions during that time.

Laura said...

Father, you do a great job encouraging us to take advantage of the Sacrament of Penance! We are very grateful to have you! Another day in which the sacrament would be offered would be well welcomed.

Marc said...

I wonder if you could offer Confessions during the Wonderful Wednesday dinner or along with that program. Perhaps having Confession available while families are together might inspire some families to take part in the sacrament.

Personally, I would like to have the option of Confessions either before or after the daily Mass, but I understand that's not always feasible.

Regardless of when Confessions were, I would definitely support the decision to have Confession available more often and I am very happy you're considering it, Father!

Anonymous said...

My former pastor talked on the subject of frequency of confession. He wanted his flock to go to confession at least every two weeks. The reason is you receive all the graces and it allows you to be able to potentially receive plenary indulgences every day since you have to have confession within an octave either before or after the doing an indulgenced work. This way the requirement of confession is always met. If you desire to go to frequent confession and are unaware of any sins you can always do a confession of devotion. Father you set a great example for other pastors on how you promote the "forgotten" sacrament of pennace.

Anonymous said...

Truthfully, it can be almost impossible for busy families to get to confession on a Saturday at 3pm. Children's activites, birthday parties, etc. can wreak havoc on well intentioned plans!
This may partially explain why one doesn't hear children's confessions so much on a Saturday afternoon.

As a matter of fact, I cannot get to confession, nor take my child, as much as I would like to.
One might argue that I should rearrange my priorities; and while that's right, it's a sad fact that a huge number of families don't have 2 Catholic parents.
When one parent isn't Catholic, there is often a great deal of strife about the Catholic going to confession, and even more strife about taking the child!

While doing the right thing sometimes involves facing conflict head on, we parents have to minimize the battles and choose them wisely for the overall sake of the family. It isn't easy. Think of constantly walking on eggshells, while not allowing the non-Catholic spouse to pull you off the right path.

Therefore, having the option of confession other than Saturday afternoon would be most welcome!

Templar said...

Personally I find Confession on Saturday before the Vigil Mass to be convenient only if one happens to be attending that Mass. However, my case is unique as I live some distance away from the Parish, and can not drop without a plan so to speak. I frequently use a closer parish to my house for Confession but the Sacrament is done a little "differently" there, and it's gotten to the point that even my child can tell the difference so any greater availability of the Sacrament at St Joseph will be a Blessing to my family.

For personal preference I have always thought that the old tradition of offering Confession before Mass, even during Mass prior to Communion, is the BEST way of ensuring that Communicants are in a State of Grace when receiving. However I realize those preferences date to a time when Parishes had more Priests assigned than 1 or 2 as is currently the norm.

Might I suggest that Sunday between the 930 and 1210 would be the best time most of the year? Many parents in particular, having children in CCD, might take the opportunity to receive the sacrament. I think that many Catholics who are border line on lapsing (they want to avoid lapsing, but they are conflicted by the calls of the secular world) would be prevented from lapsing if Confession were more convenient. I am not a fan of making our faith easy or convenient, however in the case of confession I think it important to do so. People get burdened down by their sins to the point they feel hypocritical simply going to Mass. If Confession were convenient, it might save a few more souls.

But any increased availability would be a good thing, before Mass would just be ideal.

Anonymous said...

If there is a daily Mass, can Confessions be offered either before/after the Mass, maybe for half an hour? On a side note, nothing is more encouraging and inspiring than to see the priest that is getting ready to hear confessions in prayer, before our Lord, as he prepares to hear confessions. That was an experience I had a few years ago, and it really comforted me to know that the man that was willing to be God's intrument in this Sacrament of Joy (as I love to call it) was placing himself at God's hands.

Unknown said...

Yes, please. I read the comments below and there are many good ideas. I vote after daily Mass.