Translate

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

WHEN LIGHTENING STRIKES WITHIN THREE DAYS IN THE SAME PLACE!


We strive to celebrate our Masses and other liturgies in a very dignified, practiced and solemn way. However, on occasion, we have bloopers that test my patience.

At our main Mass for Palm Sunday, four of our altar servers did not show up, which of course set me off in not a very pleasant way as our Liturgy began outside with the blessing of the palms and reading of Jesus' triumphal entry into Jerusalem and then our procession of palms into the Church. Despite that the Mass was quite beautiful and all went smoothly.

However at our 5:00 PM Mass (we did not bless the palms outside, but inside the Church) I found out five minutes before the Mass was to begin that we had no cantor! So I had to scramble and tell the first reader to say the responsorial psalm and then I was going to sing the Lenten Gospel acclamation myself.

Well, the second reader hearing that the first reader read the psalm and we had no cantor thought that she should say the Gospel acclamation too, although I didn't ask her to do that.

So, after she reads the second reading, so looks at me and then immediately says "Alleluia, Alleluia" the people respond, she reads the verse and "Alleluia, Alleluia" again! I let out an unintentional groan and yes my microphone was on as I was preparing to sing the Lenten Acclamation! I was not a happy camper!

Today, Holy Wednesday, the lector who reads the Entrance Antiphon and asks the congregation to do so with him, had the missalette turned to the wrong Wednesday, Easter Week Wednesday and at the end of the Entrance Antiphon he said Alleluia! On Holy Wednesday!!!!!!

Why O lord?

5 comments:

:o) mg said...

Just a reminder the reason we need Our Savior.... imperfections of humanity.
Try as we might we still have feet of clay.

Marc said...

These problems would likely not have happened if these were Extraordinary Form Masses. Maybe we should start having daily Low Masses in the Extraordinary Form...

:-)

Nancy A. said...

The day I don't feel well enough to go to daily Mass is the day there's drama --just my luck!! :) These glitches can be very frustrating, but as :o)mg said, we humans are imperfect no matter how hard we try. Father, I pray that these will be your worst problems this week! We love you...

Gene said...

The Masses at St. Jo's are beautiful, reverent, and polished. This is largely due, Fr, to your diligence and love of the Church. Clearly, God is just trying to keep you humble. PS When do the Cantor and the Readers come off of the rack?

Anonymous said...

Our previous priest was not so restrained as Fr M. He was known to have discussions with people about mistakes. Many who fancied their participation in the Mass as interpretive performance had more tender hides than I do. I, of course, had no issue with it as Pin can attest I have had professional strength corrective actions. Honestly, my grandfather would discuss errors I made in a calm voice that seemed more like a psychological scourging. And, frankly, if I believe this is important, and, I do, then should I want to know what I should and should not do. I loved that priest for that, but, alas, the rest of the parish was more divided about him.

As for Fr M. I recommend Tasers. You don't have to raise your voice and the little noise they make when you turn them on is often all they need to hear to get them back in line.

rcg