Translate

Saturday, July 2, 2011

THIS SUNDAY AT SAINT JOSEPH, EXTRAORDINARY FORM OF THE LOW MASS, 3RD SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST AT 2:00 PM!

This Sunday, July 3rd at 2:00 PM, St. Joseph Church, Macon will celebrate the Latin Low Mass in the Extraordinary Form. (Our men's schola is away!) Below is an "unofficial" English translation of the Mass for the 3rd Sunday after Pentecost. The more and more I hear or read the official introit, offertory and communion antiphons either sung or spoken the more I realize what a shame it was not to mandate these for the Ordinary Form of the Mass. These still exist for every Sunday and every day in the Ordinary Form but fell out of use when liturgists said that if they weren't sung, these shouldn't be spoken and then preferred metrical hymns of a vast variety of theologies over the Scriptural texts of these antiphons that in many cases tie the entire liturgy of the day together as a unified gift to God and His people. Let's get back to the official texts of the Mass and sing devotional music only as filler!

Introit
Ps. 24:16, 18.
Look toward me, and have pity on me, O Lord, for I am alone and afflicted. Put an end to my affliction and my suffering, and take away all my sins, O my God.
Ps 24:1-2
To You, I lift up my soul, O Lord. In You, O my God, I trust; let me not be put to shame.
V. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost.
R. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
Look toward me, and have pity on me, O Lord, for I am alone and afflicted. Put an end to my affliction and my suffering, and take away all my sins, O my God.

Collect
Let us pray
O God, protector of all who hope in You, without Whom nothing is strong, nothing is holy, increase Your mercy toward us, that, with Your guidance and direction we may so pass through the things of this temporal life as not to lose those of life eternal.
Through Jesus Christ, thy Son our Lord, Who liveth and reigneth with thee, in the unity of the Holy Ghost, ever one God, world without end.
R. Amen.

Lesson
Lesson from the first letter of St Peter the Apostle
1 Pet 5:6-11.
Beloved: Humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in the time of visitation; cast all your anxiety upon Him, because He cares for you. Be sober, be watchful! For your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, goes about seeking someone to devour. Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same suffering befalls your brethren all over the world. But the God of all grace, Who has called us unto His eternal glory in Christ Jesus, will Himself, after we have suffered a little while, perfect, strengthen and establish us. To Him is the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.
R. Thanks be to God.

Gradual
Ps. 54:23, 17, 19.
Cast your care upon the Lord, and He will support you.
V. When I called upon the Lord, He heard my voice from those who war against me. Alleluia, alleluia.
V. Ps. 7:12. A just judge is God, strong and patient; is He angry every day? Alleluia.

Gospel
Cleanse my heart and my lips, O almighty God, who didst cleanse the lips of the prophet Isaias with a burning coal, and vouchsafe, through Thy gracious mercy, so to purify me, that I may worthily announce Thy holy Gospel. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.
Give me Thy blessing, O Lord. The Lord be in my heart and on my lips, that I may worthily and in a becoming manner, proclaim His holy Gospel. Amen.
P. The Lord be with you.
S. And with thy spirit.
Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to Luke
R. Glory be to Thee, O Lord.
Luke 15:1-10.
At that time, the publicans and sinners were drawing near to Him to listen to Him. And the Pharisees and the Scribes murmured, saying, This man welcomes sinners and eats with them. But He spoke to them this parable, saying, What man of you having a hundred sheep, and losing one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the desert, and go after that which is lost, until he finds it? And when he has found it, he lays it upon his shoulders rejoicing. And on coming home he calls together his friends and neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, because I have found my sheep that was lost.’ I say to you that, even so, there will be joy in heaven over one sinner who repents, more then over ninety-nine just who have no need of repentance. Or what woman, having ten drachmas, if she loses one drachma, does not light a lamp and sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it? And when she has found it, she calls together her friends and neighbors, saying, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found the drachma that I had lost.’ Even so, I say to you, there will be joy among the angels of God over one sinner who repents.
R. Praise be to Thee, O Christ.
S. By the words of the Gospel may our sins be blotted out.

Offertory Antiphon
P. The Lord be with you.
S. And with thy spirit.
Let us pray.
Ps. 9:11-13.
They trust in You who cherish Your name, O Lord, for You forsake not those who seek You. Sing praise to the Lord enthroned in Sion, for He has not forgotten the cry of the afflicted.

Secret
Look favorably, O Lord, upon the offerings of Your prayerful Church and grant that those who believe may, in continual holiness, partake of the them for their salvation.
Through Jesus Christ, thy Son our Lord, Who liveth and reigneth with thee, in the unity of the Holy Ghost, ever one God, world without end.
R. Amen.

Preface
P. The Lord be with you.
S. And with thy spirit.
P. Lift up your hearts.
S. We have lifted them up to the Lord.
P. Let us give thanks to the Lord our God.
S. It is meet and just.

Holy Trinity
It it truly meet and just, right and for our salvation, that we should at all times, and in all places, give thanks unto Thee, O holy Lord, Father almighty, everlasting God; Who, together with Thine only-begotten Son, and the Holy Ghost, art one God, one Lord: not in the oneness of a single Person, but in the Trinity of one substance. For what we believe by Thy revelation of Thy glory, the same do we believe of Thy Son, the same of the Holy Ghost, without difference or separation. So that in confessing the true and everlasting Godhead, distinction in persons, unity in essence, and equality in majesty may be adored. Which the Angels and Archangels, the Cherubim also and Seraphim do praise: who cease not daily to cry out, with one voice saying:

Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God of Sabaoth! Heaven and earth are full of Thy glory! Hosanna in the highest! Blessed is He that cometh in the Name of the Lord! Hosanna in the highest!

Communion Antiphon
Luke 15:10.
I say to you: there is joy among the angels of God over one sinner who repents.

Post Communion
P. The Lord be with you.
S. And with thy spirit.
Let us pray
May the holy things of which we have partaken bring us to life and prepare for Your everlasting mercy those whom You have cleansed from sin.
Through Jesus Christ, thy Son our Lord, Who liveth and reigneth with thee, in the unity of the Holy Ghost, ever one God, world without end.
R. Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only suggestion I would make is that the music not be filler. Mr A commented in a previous thread about the educational aspects of a Church building. We know this is every bit so with the parts of the Mass itself. Here is a chance to chose music that is a distinct compliment and ties to the rest of the Mass. Even as a small part of the service people will be elated when they hear it and finally understand how it supposed to support worship and not act as a platform for a performance.

rcg

Anonymous said...

Well said.