Translate

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

HOW NOT TO GO TO CONFESSION!

This is a hoot, although it is very, very good. The young man playing the part of the priest is best heard (as on radio) rather than seen, but his acting is pretty good although the fake mustache isn't. If you only heard his voice, he would appear to be much older than what he is in the video. Certainly if this were an actual priest one could question his cynicism and pastoral outreach. He's a bit pretentious. But this is a homemade skit and I have to give credit to the young people who star in it!

So by showing us how not to go to confession and by snickering at the lack of pastoral sensitivity of the "priest" we actually learn how to make a good confession. Bravo, old chap, bravo!

3 comments:

Carol H. said...

Funny! It reminds me of the time an elderly priest fell asleep while I was making my confession. I had to wake him for my absolution! He said the proper words so I assume the confession was valid.

The Lord bless him and all priests who make the Sacrament of Penance available to us.

Unknown said...

Hey Fr. McDonald, thanks for the highlight!

The maker of this video is part of an informal group of teenagers called New Catholic Generation. The individual members make videos about whatever aspect of the Catholic faith they think other teens should know about. There's next to zero post-V2 fluffiness to be found.

I'm involved with NCG, and every post like this invigorates us a little more.

James Ignatius McAuley said...

This is great! I have different experiences in the confessional, some funny, some not so funny - I have had a priest laugh at me, a priest say "[t]hat's a sin? Hell I do that all the time! But I will give you absolution so that you will feel better." I have also had a priest fall asleep on me.

Interestingly, here in the Diocese of Buffalo the open face confessionals that were all the rage in the 1980s have all been abandoned unless the priest is doing it up in the sanctuary.

We still have face to face in the Byzantine rite, but the approach is different, the priest puts his rather large stole over our head when he gives us absolution and touches are eyes and ears, to free us from our spiritual deafness and spiritual blindness.